This weekend I was able to replace the blown capacitor and fuse in the charging circuit, put everything back together and test. This time I am happy to say that the ‘faulty circuit’ lamp from the regulator came on with the master switch, and off when the engine was running. So I think I have fixed the circuit. I didn’t notice an increase in voltage with the engine running but I didn’t have the RPMs very high.
The next test will be in the air, unless I can get someone to put the meter on the output wire when the engine is spinning.
Anyway, the good news is that the plane is flyable again. The less good news is that I’m currently in the UK so it will be a while before I can make that second flight.