Ill-fitting windows, and rudder stops (1 hr)

I took a serious look at the window fit today and was finally able to determine the problem. Here you see the passenger side fit with the cabin frame

which fits very nicely. On the other side you see that there is a gap

A close look revealed that the top of the curve is just hitting the edge of the wing attach area on the cabin frame.

So a little trimming is in order. For another time – I presume one can just get out the grinder and go to town on it? Hmm… I wonder how much a replacement is…. (edit: $395 plus shipping)

I decided instead to have a go at the rudder stops. At the back of the fuselage there are two pieces of metal that will stop the rudder from turning too far, it is our job to determine where to place these so as to get 23 degrees of travel in each direction. I’d printed out a protractor but really you need a BIG one and it was never going to work.

Instead, some while ago, Allen had said we should use good old trigonometry – we have two sides and an angle, we can determine how much movement the rudder can go for 23 degrees. The answer is 243mm (or 9.5 inches) so I sat the rudder straight and placed a piece of paper with a mark on it, moved it, measured 9.5in with the ruler and taped the first stop to the fuselage.

With the stop in place I took my paper protractor and tried to see if it eyeballed correctly. It kinda does but I think it is quite important to get the angle large enough so I’m going to find a way to verify the position.

While looking for pictures to see if mine looked like it was kinda sorta in the right place I read a couple of discussions that if you don’t grind out some of the nose wheel block you can’t get more than 18 degrees with the pedals. Zenith had advised that you should try and get at least 20 degrees.

Not pictured here, I messed about with the lower fairing that fits inside the gap between rudder and fuselage. Last post I pondered that I might have to drill out some rivets in the fuselage but I am happy to say I was wrong. It is riveted into the holes that have been left undone in the rudder. So that’s good. It is pretty easy to do but for now it is just resting in place.

I had hoped the front control tube bearing replacement would have come by today but they had trouble running my credit card so it got shipped late.

And that’s it for a couple of weeks. I’m off to my Company HQ in Tokyo for a week so there won’t be any progress for the next couple of weeks. Not unless someone wants to volunteer to work on it while I am gone – I won’t be mad, promise!